This KB focuses on "how to wipe a USB drive" to attain secure and compliant media sanitization. It provides instructions to wipe or erase USB drives, such that the data stored on them is erased permanently, meeting the tenets of data privacy, confidentiality, and compliance in line with the applicable data protection regulations.
The USB media wiping instructions covered in this KB are for using BitRaser Drive Eraser software and are suitable for erasing all types of USB drives, including:
- USB flash drive (commonly known as pen drive, thumb drive, or memory stick)
- USB hard drive (external hard disk drives and solid state drives with a USB interface)
Steps to Wipe a USB Drive Using BitRaser Drive Eraser:
BitRaser Drive Eraser can start wiping or erasing a USB drive within 15 minutes*. You can follow these instructions to wipe a USB flash drive (aka thumb drive or memory stick) or hard drive. Visit the BitRaser Drive Eraser deployment guide for detailed instructions.
Note: * The total wiping time will vary as per the type and size of the drive and the erasure standard chosen.
You need the following:
- A Blank USB flash drive: 2 GB or higher capacity to create a bootable wiping media
- Internet: Ethernet or Wi-Fi
- Desktop or laptop: to perform USB wiping
- USB drives that need to be wiped or erased
Stage 1: Download BitRaser Drive Eraser ISO file [Duration: 5 minutes]
This stage involves downloading the 'BitRaser Drive Eraser' software ISO file from the BitRaser cloud account post you have purchased the licenses.
- Log in to your BitRaser cloud account. (You would have received the credentials in the email from the BitRaser team post-purchase)
- Click the 'Download BitRaser Drive ISO' link in the dropdown menu on the right.
Stage 2: Create 'BitRaser bootable USB media' [Duration: 5 minutes]
This stage involves creating a bootable media by burning the 'BitRaser Drive Eraser ISO' image on an empty USB flash drive. The bootable media allows the wiping of USB drives.
For creating the bootable media on a PC or Laptop, you can use the application 'Rufus'. Please follow the steps below:
- Visit https://rufus.ie to download Rufus – an-open source application for creating bootable USB media.
- Install Rufus on the PC or laptop and then plug a USB drive into the system.
- Launch Rufus and follow the instructions as per the below image.
4. Click START to initiate bootable media creation.
5. Click 'YES' on the pop-up message box to proceed further.
Stage 3: Start wiping the USB drive [Duration: 5 minutes]
After creating the bootable media, follow these steps to begin wiping of the USB drives:
- Plug the bootable media into the host machine (laptop or desktop PC).
- Also, plug the USB drive and/or USB hard drive(s) you need to wipe into the PC
- Switch ON the machine and press the Function keys to enter the Boot menu
- Select USB Device, and press Enter. The computer will boot, and BitRaser Menu will appear.
- Press Enter to initialize BitRaser Drive Eraser.
- The software Home screen will appear, listing all the drives.
- Select the USB drive(s) and the Erasure Method from the dropdown menu. Click the Settings icon in the top menu.
- Next, refer to the BitRaser deployment guide and follow the instructions from STEP 5 onwards in STAGE 3.
After wiping the USB drive(s), the software will generate digitally signed reports & certificates of erasure and upload them automatically to your BitRaser Cloud account.