Summary: In 2023, there are several alternatives to White Canyon’s Wipe Drive that are available in the market for secure data erasure. BitRaser, Blancco Drive Eraser, and Kill Disk are three popular alternatives that offer a variety of erasure standards and can erase data from hard drives, SSDs, NVMe, and other storage devices. They also include comprehensive reporting systems to track the erasure process and ensure compliance with industry standards. In this blog, we will discuss the pros and cons of each software.
Wipe Drive is a product of White Canyon, a US-based provider of data erasure software for drives and smartphones. The software was known for bulk erasing hundreds of drives and devices simultaneously; however, it lacked scalability beyond 1000 drives and did not offer cloud-based integration for online wiping. Recently Blancco acquired Wipe Drive and removed its presence from the web. Wipe Drive announced that they will stop support to their customers w.e.f March 2024.
What to Consider While Choosing an Alternative to White Canyon Wipe Drive?
There are many free and commercial data erasure software available in the market, however, choosing the one that suits your business requires careful considerations. Your choice must be based on the following criteria:
- Data Security: The primary purpose of wiping a device is to ensure that all data is securely erased and cannot be recovered. Therefore, it is essential to choose a tool that uses reliable secure data-wiping algorithms like NIST 800-88 Clear & Purge, DoD 3 & 7 Passes, etc.
- Ease of Use: A wiping tool should be easy to use, with clear instructions and a simple user interface so minimal training is required to perform wiping.
- Compliance: Data privacy laws mandate permanent data disposal. So, it’s important to use a solution that not only wipes your media devices but can also act as a one-stop solution for meeting compliance with different laws like CCPA, GDPR, HIPAA, PCI DSS, etc.
- Scalability: The data wiping utility should offer scalability of performing several thousand erasures simultaneously and providing an option of erasing the device anytime, anywhere.
- Cost: One of the most important factors to consider is the cost of erasure. Since most of the paid data erasure software are based on a Pay-per-use mechanism, it is important to choose the software that does not charge extra for other offerings like deployment, technical support, cloud console, etc.
- Speed: Wiping a drive can take a considerable amount of time, depending on the size of the drive and the wiping algorithm used. You should choose a tool that balances speed with security and provides an estimated time to complete the wiping process.
- Support: Choose a solution that offers best-in-class technical support without any extra charge and is available via multiple modes like chat, email, or call.
What are the Top 3 Alternatives to White Canyon Wipe Drive in 2023?
We have compiled a list of the top three data erasure solutions that we believe are the best alternatives to Wipe Drive:
- BitRaser: Designed and developed by renowned data care experts Stellar Data Recovery Inc., BitRaser is a one-stop solution for all your data wiping needs. BitRaser is considered the best alternative to Wipe Drive in 2023 due to its extensive capabilities and certifications. BitRaser can permanently erase sensitive data from a variety of data-bearing devices. This includes HDDs and SSDs in laptops, desktops, Mac devices (including M1 & T2), servers, data centers, etc. It also supports major drive types such as SATA, PATA, SCSI, SAS, and USB.
- Supports 24 global data erasure standards like NIST 800-88 Clear & Purge, DoD 3 & 7 Passes, etc.
- BitRaser is tested and approved by NIST, DHS, ADISA, NYCE Mexico, Ontrack, etc.
- Cost-effective data erasure solution, probably the lowest in the market when compared to other commercially available software.
- BitRaser is a DIY software that is very simple to use; even a non-technical person can use it.
- The software can work on all kinds of devices that may have Windows, Mac & Linux operating systems.
- The software generates detailed Tamper-proof certificates and reports of erasure that are stored on the BitRaser cloud account. These help in meeting compliance with data privacy laws and can act as audit trails.
- BitRaser cloud console helps in license distribution and user management. The powerful console also helps you to automate the erasure process making it manageable, scalable, and efficient.
- The software is scalable and helps wipe 100 loose drives in a chassis or up to 65,000 drives over a network.
- BitRaser offers customization for bulk buyers.
- Last but not the least, 24×5 free technical support is available. Customers can contact via email, chat, and call.
2. Blancco: Blancco Technology Group, a leading provider of data erasure and mobile device diagnostics solutions, develops Blancco data erasure software. While it is well known in the data erasure segment and offers organizations secure and automated data erasure solutions that can be used across a variety of devices. However, it has a complex user interface and is the most expensive software in the industry.
- Supports 24+ global data erasure standards like NIST, DoD, etc. like BitRaser
- Many global bodies certify Blancco.
- Price-wise, Blancco is expensive; they are almost 4 times more expensive than other major brands like BitRaser.
- Blancco provides paid technical support via email and call. They also have knowledgebase articles for self-help.
- The software is scalable and generates tamper-proof certificates & reports of erasure.
- Can wipe multiple loose drives in a chassis or drives over a network.
- While Blancco provides cloud integration and workflows that have multiple features to help large ITADs perform data erasure, it is important to note that these workflows are highly complex and cannot be understood by a non-technical person.
3. KillDisk: LSoft Technologies Inc. has developed KillDisk hardware and software solutions for data erasure. Here in this article, we are considering their data erasure software only. The tool permanently erases all data on HDDs, SSDs, USB drives, and Memory Cards in a secure manner however has some limitations like scalability, manageability over cloud console, third-party certifications, etc.
- Supports 24 global data wiping standards like NIST, DoD, etc.
- Can wipe up to 100 drives in parallel.
- Generates certificate of erasure with minimal information
- Offers yearly license fee that allows erasure on one machine
- A freeware version is available for home users.
The above-mentioned software have their advantages and disadvantages, however, they all are capable of being alternatives to White Canyon Wipe Drive in 2023. So, it’s up to you now to weigh the pros and cons and decide which alternative suits your business needs and provides maximum benefits. So, it’s imperative that you find a data erasure solution that will not only assist you in performing safe & secure data erasure but will also assist you with continuous support, updates, and fixes.
What is the alternative to White Canyon Wipe Drive?
BitRaser is the best alternative to White Canyon product Wipe Drive as it is a tested and certified software by NIST and DHS & is capable of wiping multiple types of devices using over 24 global erasing standards. It also generates tamper-proof reports & certificates of erasure.
Why do I need an alternative to White Canyon Wipe Drive?
Wipe Drive lacks scalability beyond 1000 drives, has a difficult user interface, doesn’t offer cloud integration, and will cease providing software support and updates from March 2024 onwards. Therefore you need to look at an alternative tool – BitRaser.
How do you destroy data on a hard drive?
You can use professional data erasure software like BitRaser to permanently destroy all data on a hard drive. This allows the drive to be reused and reduces e-waste.