Summary: BitRaser offers two powerful data wiping tools to combat the rising threats of data breaches, cyberattacks, and data theft: Drive Eraser for wiping entire drives and devices & File Eraser for wiping files, folders, internet history, etc. on a device. However, their scope, scalability, and use cases are vastly different. Read this Blog to learn how the two programs differ and select the one that best meets your needs.
Data breaches, hacking attempts, and identity thefts are at an all-time high. Thus, it has become imperative to protect sensitive information. Data privacy and protection regulations like GDPR, CCPA, and HIPAA highlight the importance of data erasure as a ploy to reduce the attack surface area for any organization. The underlying principle is simple enough: data you do not need anymore, should not exist anymore. And what doesn’t exist, can’t be stolen, or misused.
To ensure that your sensitive data remains safe from external and internal threats, two potent categories of Data Erasure products exist, BitRaser File Eraser and BitRaser Drive Eraser software, each catering to different business requirements.
BitRaser File Eraser: An Introduction
BitRaser File Eraser software is designed to erase individual files, folders, internet traces, cookies, volumes, partitions, emails, browser history, archives, etc. from storage devices based on Windows or Mac OS. The software supports 18 Global Data Wiping standards like US DoD 5220.22-M, NIST 800-88 Purge, US Air Force AFSSI 5020, and many more. These standards define the overwriting mechanism to ensure that data is irretrievable even in a laboratory setting. The File Eraser variant has an intuitive GUI that allows the wiping of all data selected by the user while retaining the Operating system. (Refer to Image 1)
BitRaser File Eraser Key Features:
- Supports Multiple Erasure Standards: The File Eraser software overwrites data using any of the 18 international data wiping standards. By default, the software uses ‘Zeroes’ as the overwriting algorithm. The tool provides an option to set the Erasure standard as per the compliance requirements through ‘Settings’.
- Wipe Single or Multiple Files & Folders: The DIY software allows wiping single or multiple files simultaneously. The tool supports drag and drop, as well as the option for searching and erasing files.
- Automate And Schedule Data Erasure Tasks Periodically: BitRaser File Eraser has a scheduler that can be used to automatically erase data at a specific time or regular intervals. You can also prepare a list of files that need to be wiped at regular intervals to safeguard your privacy.
- Wipe Network Mapped Drives: The software supports wiping Files on workstations and over-mapped network drives too.
- Erasure Reports: The corporate edition of the software generates reports of erasure that serve as immutable proof of data erasure that help comply with laws like PCI DSS that require regular file-level erasure.
- Compatibility: The software supports file erasure on a range of storage devices, including hard drives, SSDs, USBs, memory cards, and other types of storage media. The tool is available for Windows and Mac OS.
- Ease of Usage: BitRaser File Eraser software is user-friendly, with a simple interface that makes it easy to select files or folders to be erased. The software allows for erasing internet browsing history, cache, free spaces, and more.
Benefits of BitRaser File Eraser:
The software is most useful for any organization that deals with data and wants to safeguard the Privacy & Confidentiality of their data at all times:
- Maintain Data Privacy: Securely erasing sensitive files and folders beyond recovery, helps safeguard the data of individuals, customers, employees, investors, etc.
- Ensures Data Protection: BitRaser File Eraser tool helps protect sensitive data from being accessed or recovered by unauthorized users, preventing data breaches, identity theft, and other security risks.
- Allows Reallocation and Reusing Devices: Wipe sensitive data from individual machines such as when an employee leaves the company and the device is to be reused within the organization.
- Helps Comply with Data Security Laws: Software generates certified erasure reports that help organizations meet various data protection regulations such as GDPR, HIPAA, and PCI DSS.
- Saves Time with Automation: BitRaser File Eraser helps in automating wiping processes at regular intervals to ensure confidential data doesn’t fall into the wrong hands at all times.
- Cost-Effective: File Eraser software is a cost-effective solution for organizations that need to erase data securely, saving them money compared to hiring specialized data destruction services.
You can read the technical specifications of BitRaser File Eraser here. The detailed report generated by BitRaser File Eraser can be seen here.
Next, let’s understand BitRaser Drive Eraser software that helps wipe and sanitize all kinds of drives. It permanently removes all data along with the Operating System, unlike the File Eraser software.
BitRaser Drive Eraser: An Introduction
BitRaser Drive Eraser is a professional tool designed to erase hard drives and SSDs like SATA, PATA, SCSI, USB, etc., and devices including PC, Laptops, and Mac machines (Including with M1, M2, T1, and T2 Chips). The software is capable of completely wiping data-bearing devices (each sector on the drive including the Operating System) including hidden areas like HPA, DCO & remapped sectors. The software generates tamper-proof reports and certificates of erasure that come in handy as Audit Trials. (Refer to Image 2)
BitRaser Drive Eraser Key Features:
There are several benefits associated with the software, we have discussed the important one’s below:
- Supports Multiple Drive Wiping Algorithms: The Drive Eraser software overwrites the entire drive with random data using any of the 24 International standards it supports, like NIST Clear & Purge, US – DoD 5220.22-M, NSA 130-1, Canadian CSEC ITSG-06, etc.
- Erasure of Multiple Devices and Drives: Drive Eraser helps wipe SSD, HDD, and USB in PC, Mac, Laptop, and server. The standalone variant can wipe up to 100 drives in a chassis or up to 65,000 drives over a network.
- Cloud Integration: The DIY software works on a plug-and-play model. The user gets cloud credentials post-purchase for creating a bootable USB for wiping drives. The licenses purchased are synced from the ‘BitRaser Cloud Console’. It helps manage license distribution, defines user roles, and provides centralized access to data erasure reports and certificates.
- Erasure of Hidden Areas: The software can erase data from hidden areas of storage devices such as the boot sector, HPA, and DCO ensuring that all data is securely erased.
- Supports RAID Dismantling: Drive Eraser tool supports RAID dismantling. So it is convenient to erase multiple RAID arrays.
- Detailed Reports and Certificates: The software provides comprehensive erasure reports and certificates of erasure, giving organizations an audit trail of the erasure process and ensuring accountability.
Benefits of BitRaser Drive Eraser:
- IT Asset Disposition: Helps dispose of old IT Assets that are not actively in use by wiping sensitive data beyond the scope of recovery, thereby promoting a sustainable, circular economy.
- Data Center Decommissioning: The secure data erasure software is ideal when data centers are decommissioned or IT hardware is retired or upgraded.
- Helps Attain Compliance with Data Protection Laws: The software-generated data erasure reports act as Audit Trails that comes in handy for meeting compliance with various laws and regulations.
- Automate Data Erasure Process & Scale Operation: Large enterprises and ITADs can achieve scalability with BitRaser Drive Eraser and wipe thousands of devices simultaneously by customizing the ISO file basis their requirements thereby bringing consistency in operations across physically spread out locations.
You can read the technical specifications of BitRaser Drive Eraser here. The detailed report generated by BitRaser Drive Eraser can be seen here.
Differences between File Eraser and Drive Eraser Software:
Here’s how File Eraser and Drive Eraser software differ, on some major criteria.
|Differences between File Eraser and Drive Eraser Software|
|Parameter||BitRaser File Eraser||BitRaser Drive Eraser|
|Scope of Erasure||BitRaser File Eraser performs targeted data erasure by securely erasing individual files and folders. This software overwrites data with random characters and patterns. It is used to delete financial records, personal documents, confidential emails, etc.||BitRaser Drive Eraser is designed to wipe the entire hard drive or storage device including hidden areas like host-protected area (HPA) or device configuration overlay (DCO). This software uses advanced algorithms to wipe the entire drive.|
|Erasure Standards Supported||This DIY tool supports limited erasure standards (18) basis the requirement of wiping files, folders, internet cache, etc.||The software supports 24+ global data erasure standards like NIST, DoD, etc.|
|Deployment||The File Eraser software is installable on a Windows or a Mac device.||The Drive Eraser software comes in as an ISO file that needs to be burned on a USB. Likewise, there is a PXE boot available for Network wiping.|
|Scalability||BitRaser File Eraser is ideally used for small-scale data erasure requirements, typically dealing with a single device and wiping selected data from it.||Drive Eraser is designed to perform bulk data erasure and can wipe multiple drives or devices at the same time.|
|Hardware Diagnostics Tests||The file Erasure tool does not diagnose the drive and device component||Drive Eraser tool performs SMART tests to diagnose the drive/device functionality.|
|Volume Level Erasure||File Eraser performs volume level Erasure that helps wipe a particular partition on a drive to make it clean before reallocating the device.||Drive Eraser software wipes everything from the device including the Operating system. It does not support volume-level erasure. |
|Use Cases||File Eraser software is typically used to securely delete sensitive files from devices that will be reused in the organization. It is also used for performing regular File level erasure to comply with data protection regulations.||Drive Eraser software is used to wipe an entire system before disposing of or recycling a computer, to prevent unauthorized access to sensitive data.|
|License Usage||File Erasure software has 1-year license subscription that is locked to a single machine.||BitRaser Drive Eraser works on a pay-per-use model i.e. one license per drive to be wiped. Drive Eraser licenses do not have an expiry date.|
Both File Eraser software and Drive Eraser software are useful tools for secure data deletion. But from a data security standpoint, it is important to understand how they differ. Moreover, it is essential to choose the appropriate software.
To summarize, understanding the differences between BitRaser File Eraser software and BitRaser Drive Eraser software is critical for making informed data erasure decisions. Both tools offer distinct functionalities and are designed to meet different data erasure requirements. Organizations can improve data security, comply with industry regulations, and make cost-effective decisions by understanding the differences between these two software solutions.
What is File Eraser software?
BitRaser File Eraser software is designed to erase individual files, folders, internet traces, cookies, volumes, partitions, emails, browser history, archives, etc. from storage devices.
What is Drive Eraser software?
BitRaser Drive Eraser is a professional tool designed to erase hard drives and SSDs like SATA, PATA, SCSI, USB, etc., and devices including PC, Laptops, and Mac machines.
What are the benefits of Drive Eraser software?
There are several benefits associated with BitRaser Drive Eraser:
It supports multiple drive wiping algorithms like DoD 5220.22, NIST Clear & Purge. Helps erase multiple types of drives and devices. It offers cloud integration for managing license distribution, defining user roles, and providing centralized access to data erasure reports and certificates. It can erase hidden areas like HPA, DCO & remapped sectors. It supports RAID dismantling and provides tamper-proof Data Erasure reports and certificates.
What are the benefits of File Eraser software?
There are several benefits associated with BitRaser File Eraser:
It helps in maintaining Data Privacy. Helps ensure Data Protection. BitRaser File Eraser allows reallocation and reusing of devices. It helps comply with data security laws. It helps save time with automation and is cost-effective.