BitRaser Drive Eraser - Multiple Deployment
This guide provides easy-to-use instructions on how to wipe hard drives simultaneously by using BitRaser Drive Eraser software in "Multiple deployment" mode. The tool provides "plug-n-play" utility for erasing up to 32 hard drives mounted in a storage rack through a simple and efficient process.
Instructions in this manual are broken down into 3 stages to get you a fast and practical way of erasing the hard drives with minimal efforts through the following stages:
Stage 1 (One-time)
Provides the steps to download the software ISO image file from BitRaser cloud
Stage 2 (One-time)
Provides instructions to create a bootable USB for wiping hard drives.
Shares the steps to wipe rack-mount hard drives using BitRaser software through bootable USB.
These instructions help you get started with drive erasure in less than 10 minutes.
Note: Total wiping time will vary as per type, size of drive & erasure standard.
Burn BitRaser Drive Eraser ISO on USB Drive to Create Bootable Media
- Step 1 Visit https://rufus.ie to download rufus – an open source application widely used for creating bootable USB flash drive.
- Step 2 Install Rufus application on your laptop or desktop and then connect a USB drive to the system.
- Step 3 Launch Rufus and follow instructions in the below annotated image. Click START to initiate the next steps for bootable USB media creation
- Step 4 Click ‘Yes’ on the pop-up message box to proceed further
- Step 5 Click OK on the final pop-up confirmation message to start burning BitRaser Drive Eraser ISO file on USB.
Tip: You can use the same BitRaser Drive Eraser bootable USB media for wiping all Windows PCs, Mac systems, and hard drives.
Wipe Drives Using BitRaser Tool through Bootable USB
Follow these steps to erase hard drives & SSD drives simultaneously:
- Step 1 Gather all hard drives that are to be wiped and mount them in storage rack.
- Step 2 Connect the storage rack to a display device.
- Step 3 Plug-in the bootable USB media to the storage rack.
- Step 4 Power ON the system and press Function keys as applicable for your device ‘make’ and ‘model’ to enter Boot Menu.
- Step 5 Select USB Device option and press Enter.
- A screen with BitRaser Dual Boot Menu will appear after the host computer boots successfully
- Step 6 Select BitRaser and press Enter to initialize BitRaser Drive Eraser.
- Software Home screen will appear after initialization, listing all the drives - including build-in & USB drives - connected to host machine. The interface will display number of licenses left as '0'
At this stage, you would need to connect the host machine to Internet and login to BitRaser cloud for acquiring licenses to allow wiping of the rack mount drives, as follows:
- Step 7 Click Settings icon on top right corner of the Home screen.
- Step 8 Click Network tab in Settings window.
For Ethernet, follow these steps:
- Select Ethernet radio button.
- Select the Host machine in Configuration dropdown menu.
- Choose Automatic (DHCP). All other fields will be auto-populated.
- Click Connect.
For Wi-Fi, follow these steps:
- Select Wireless radio button.
- Select the Host machine in Configuration dropdown menu
- Select the wireless network in SSID Name dropdown menu
- Enter password of the wireless network and click connect
- Step 9 Next, click BitRaser Server tab in Settings window
- Step 10 Enter BitRaser cloud URL, login user name & password. Click Connect.
- The software will automatically acquire licenses from your BitRaser cloud account.
You would be able to see License Left count at bottom right corner of the screen.
- Step 9 Select checkbox for all the hard drives that you wish to erase.
- Step 11 Select Erasure Method from dropdown list at the bottom of screen and Click Erase.
- A message box will pop-up, asking for final confirmation on initiating the erasure process.
- Step 12 Click 'Yes' to start wiping the selected drive(s).
- The software will start erasing the hard drive(s), displaying runtime progress.
- After the process is completed, the software will generate digitally signed reports for all the erased hard drives & SSD drives and save them automatically on your BitRaser Cloud account.